Wednesday, March 9, 2011

rambling, procrastination...or...am I way too late for seeds?!?

We like to garden by starting our own seeds...mainly it costs (a lot!) less but it is also so satisfying to see all those little seeds popping up and growing - they are so cute you can't help but want to garden.  This year with moving, new jobs and a combined 6weeks-ish of being sick I'm wondering if we've run out of time.  Almost every afternoon while in the office I look outside and thing "Tonight I'm going to start seeds!" or "This weekend I'll plant things!"  But there are so many other things that I need to do also - or I'm just too tired.  I've only been working since December and I don't think I've really re-adjusted yet - I know I should but most nights I just want to come home, eat food, take a shower and relax.

So...this weekend I'm resolved - I want seeds in the ground - at least the ones we can plant outside right now. Then I'll evaluate the others and see if I have time/energy/etc...

I'm debating buying starts this year and I keep hearing about the Seattle Tilth Edible Spring plant sale...it's coming up soon and they do have a lot of things I wanted. Doing starts feels a little bit like a failure - especially after carefully saving seeds last year from so many tomatoes, tomatillos, climbing beans and squash.

I'm going to have to do some research this week and see what can be planted still via seed, I'll get out our Maritime NW Garden guide to see what should have been planted the last 2 months and look at our seed varieties and see how long they are going to take...The tomatoes and squash might be OK from seed now if nothing else.

When do you start planting seeds?  Last year Jen started in December if I remember right and we grew just about everything from seed.  This year with all of the herbs and veggies I want I think starts are going to be in the plan. 

I'm also looking at growing a bunch of edible flowers this year - mainly I think it will be pretty but I'm also thinking ground cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment