Saturday, June 12, 2010

Chicken run!

This morning we were up early to head to the West Seattle Tool Library http://www.sustainablewestseattle.org/tool-library/ to borrow a post hole digger and begin building the chicken run.  I'm not sure how many post holes I have to dig yet (6 or 8 I think) but it sounds like a ton of work!  Apparently by signing up for my library account online last night I am the first member of the tool library!  This means that I get to be put down as a founding memmber (yay, me! lol) and Jen & I will have our picture in the West Seattle Blog and the Sustainable West Seattle blog. Um. yay?  If I'd known that was a consequence I might have at least taken a shower this morning instead of rolling out of bed, putting some work clothes on and a hankerchief on my head.  oops. The pictures should be awesome.

so.  Now that I've had coffee, the chickens are out playing in their dog crate and the sun is out it's time to go sort all of that free wood we got a month ago (or more?) and decide how big this run will be and exactly where it's going.  We have a rough idea of course, but not a set one. Sounds like a long day of working to me but the chickens will be really glad when we are done!

Another thing is the Photinia trees, they are toxic to grazing animals, but are they toxic to chickens?  Do I need to worry about raking all the fallen leaves out of the run before the chickens go in there?  I can't seem to find this info online, I may need to start emailing other Seattle chicken people and see what they know.



No comments:

Post a Comment